Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Epicuro Aglianico 2010

Epicuro Aglianico 2010(Italian/$5.99 TJ's)
Color: Magenta
Smell: Blackberry, old oak, and heavy sage/cinnamon.
Taste: Juicy blackberry, plum, jammy, medium tannins, low acidity, medium alcohol, and high residual sugar.

Food Pairings: Gorgonzola Dolce
                           Roasted Walnuts and Almonds                           Ginger Orange Biscotti

Summary: I came into this tasting with high hopes after the last Epicuro I tried the Nero D'Avola. My hopes were absolutely crushed just on smell though. On the nose the sweetness was overwhelming as well as the sage and oak. I could tell there wasn't going be balance or have a depth of body. On the mouth the oakyness hit me first, then sugar/plum, and last the sage/cinnamon. I could have seen myself liking this a few years ago when I found sweetness and overpowering flavors desirable. This wine just doesn't have any balance though. The only way I could see this working would be hot it reminds me of a glogg or mulled wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment